Sunday 5 December 2010

Ginger Madeleines!


I have been wanting to bake these ginger madeleines since I found this recipe online but I had to wait until I got the madeleine baking pans to do so. Luckily, my girlfriends in the Office were happy enough to get the pans for me for my birthday so I set to work this weekend baking them.

What are madeleines? According to Wikipedia, "madeleines are very small sponge cakes with a distinctive shell-like shape acquired from being baked in pans with shell-shaped depressions.The madeleine or petite madeleine is a traditional small cake from Commercy and Liverdun, two communes of the Lorraine region in northeastern France."

These madeleines were quite easy to bake. Stem ginger and ground ginger are both mixed into the batter
which gives a strong ginger flavour, ideal for ginger lovers! Butter, eggs, sugar, flour and vanilla extract are the standard baking ingredients. The batter is then chilled for 30 mins before spooning them into the pan and baking them for 10 mins. The madeleines are then dusted with icing sugar.

The Husband has pronounced them 'pretty good'.

No comments:

Post a Comment