Monday 1 November 2010

Chocolate Revel Bars!


Last Sunday, suffering from jet-lag and trying desperately not to fall asleep in the afternoon, I decided to bake a simple recipe from one of the new baking magazines I bought in the States.

Chocolate revel bars are chocolatey, fudgy, oatmeal bar-type cookies that consist of three layers. The first and third layers are the same butter, sugar, eggs, flour and oatmeal mixture. The second layer is melted dark chocolate (semisweet chocolate in the States) with a couple tablespoons of butter and chopped walnuts stirred in.

I was a bit surprised at the quantity of the oatmeal mixture and as my baking tin was smaller than the suggested size, I had quite a bit of dough left that I had to throw away. Note to self: reduce quantity of ingredients according to pan size! But I did use the full quantity of melted chocolate which I think did not affect the overall taste, especially if you love chocolate like me.

The oatmeal layer did taste rather bland by itself and the top layer baked into an almost biscuit-like crust. However, with the filled chocolate layer, the entire cookie bar was rather delicious!

As most of the Office was away this week, there are still plenty left today but I did spot a colleague having two pieces in minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment