Saturday 28 August 2010

Sticky Stem Ginger Cake with Lemon Icing!


Still on the ginger trail...The Husband managed to track down black treacle at another supermarket and bought me four tins. I read that ginger cakes taste better after a few days to rest so I decided to bake this ginger cake a couple of days before I bring it into the office on Monday. However, you can see that a quarter cake is missing as I brought it over to the parents-in-law for dessert tonight. Reviews were good tonight. :)

The most difficult bit of making this cake is grating the stem ginger balls. As each ball is quite wet and syrupy, I grated most of a ball using a fork and then chopping the rest into tiny pieces. I was also quite worried when I was melting the sugar, golden syrup, black treacle and milk as they seemed to start forming little black bits but with more heating, the bits seemed to dissolve. The cake is then beaten into the flour mixture with the grated ginger before being poured into a cake tin and baked in the oven.

I am personally not a fan of ginger but the little chunk I tried had quite a kick!

Will keep you posted about taste on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment