Sunday 1 August 2010

Frosted Banana Bars!


Bananas and chocolate - what better combination can one come up with?

This weekend, I wanted to bake a traybake that is like a cake but easy to slice and eat. I found this recipe in one of my new baking books and thought it looked delicious.

The banana cake base did take some time with alternating spoonfuls of egg and flour to be mixed into the creamed sugar and butter batter before mixing in the mashed bananas but the batter smelled delicious while mixing and baking in the oven.

The chocolate frosting was 'cooked' while the cake was cooling in the tin. The frosting is made out of butter, icing sugar, cocoa powder and a couple tablespoons of milk and then melted over the stove. I am not sure if I did not melt the frosting enough as it was not as smooth as the picture in the book and I was paranoid it was burning in the pan. Hence, the frosting did not spread well and seems to harden really quickly so that the star sprinkles did not get a chance to 'stick' to the frosting. I was not impressed when I tested the cake but the Husband seems to like it well enough.

Conclusion: Depending on the piece of cake you get with the thickness of frosting and number of star sprinkles, it is a real sugar rush!

No comments:

Post a Comment