Sunday 2 May 2010

Mini Egg Caramel Slice!


This is absolutely one of the stickiest treats I have ever baked. I am quite a fan of mini easter eggs so I bought 4 packets of mini creme eggs and 200g of Lindt mini eggs during the Easter egg sale. I was thrilled when I found this recipe as I think eating a pudding with mini eggs baked into it should not count as actually eating the easter eggs. And yes, I know it does not really make sense but it makes me feel better than scoffing 20 mini eggs in a row!

This is a really sinful treat due to the 395g of condensed milk and 500g of mini eggs as stated in the recipe! Due to the lack of mini eggs, I only used 455g of chocolate. I was also slightly nervous about using so much condensed milk so I reduced it to 300g. The eventual result smells great although slicing it up was a nightmare due to the stickness of the condensed milk, chocolate and coconut combination. The first slice ended up in pieces which the Husband dutifully ate up.

Lesson learnt - if the recipe tells you to line the baking tin with greaseproof paper with 2 cm overhang, you line the tin with greaseproof paper with 2 cm overhang. I learnt this lesson the hard way as the chocolate egg, desiccated coconut and condensed milk topping bubbled and melted and dripped right through the removable base onto the oven floor. Cleaning was a nightmare with the oven and the baking tin!

This was a surprise with everything eaten in a day! A colleague who is really into chocolate actually asked for the recipe so that he can get his sister to bake them for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment