Sunday 9 January 2011

Apple Fruitcake!


On Christmas eve, I decided that the Husband should have something homemade for Christmas since we are having Christmas lunch with the parents-in-law.

As everyone would know fruitcakes are a must for Christmas and I will be the first one to say I am a massive fan of my mother-in-law's. I found this 'easy' fruitcake recipe and thought it was a lovely recipe for a Christmas eve baking afternoon.

The cake was meant to contain 200g of grated apple and 300g of raisins, sultanas and currants but another review recommended 100g of apricots and glace cherries instead of 100g of apple, so I decided to make a combination of 100g grated apple, 100g cherries, 300g of luxury fruit and raisins. I have to confess I was quite keen to reduce the grated apple content as I am not a fan of grating. If anyone can recommend a great automatic grater, please let me know!

Anyway, this cake turned out delicious. We left 3/4 of the cake with the parents-in-law and we took a piece with us on holiday which was still yummy three days later.

1 comment:

  1. This was a lovely light moist fruitcake. Not a traditional Christmas cake which has a lot more fruit in it and is much richer. We enjoyed it immensely - I would like to try making it sometime. When I read that Wee-Li liked my cake I rushed off to wrap up a big piece so that they could have some of it.

    ReplyDelete