Sunday 6 February 2011

Red Velvet Whoopie Pies with Peppermint Filling!



In the spirit of Chinese New Year, I decided any baking in February should have some colour of pink or red in it. This weekend, I was going through a baking magazine when I saw this red velvet whoopie pie recipe.

First of all, what is a whoopie pie? According to Wikipedia, "the Whoopie pie (alternatively called a gob, black-and-white, bob, or "BFO" for Big Fat Oreo) is an American baked good that may be considered either a cookie, pie, or cake. It is made of two round mound-shaped pieces of chocolate cake, or sometimes pumpkin cake, with a sweet, creamy filling or frosting sandwiched between them."

I have tried store-bought whoopie pies which taste quite artifical but I did think they look quite cute and bite-sized. I have shunted away from making them myself though as I thought it was quite fiddly with the cookie mix and the filling.

However, I decided a new year means new challenges, so I might as well take it on with my baking! The red velvet cookies are baked out of buttermilk, brown sugar, butter, flour, an egg, bicarbonate of soda, vanilla extract and natural red food colouring. The filling is a mixture of cream cheese, butter and peppermint extract and it came out really sweet and creamy. As usual though, the recommended quantity of filling was way too much and I have to remember to halve it next time if these whoopie pies are well received.

Good feedback in general although I think vanilla cream cheese filling might be preferred. The Husband was quite taken with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment